Dining Room Assistant Manager
Back to Resume Form
The Dining Room Assistant Manager is responsible for the management and operational success of the Front of the House (FOH) at Waters Edge Winery. Success is defined by:
- Having a FOH team that is delivering excellent customer service, engaged in their work and are learning.
- Operational excellence in the dining room and bar that leaves guests satisfied with the quality and consistency of the experience at Waters Edge, enough to return
- Executing memorable catered and special events that exceed guest expectations, creates new brand ambassadors and results in new business
- Support operations as need by filling in for the duties of other leaders
Reports to: Winery Owners and General Manager
Positions Reporting to the Assistant Manager: Sommelier, all FOH staff
Peers with: Executive Chef, Vintner, Sales and Marketing Assistant Manager
Work Schedule: Full-Time Position
Essential Job Functions:
- Manage day-to-day operations of dining room with the service team to ensure readiness at opening and prior to service rushes.
- Assist in on the job training and continuing training for all service staff to provide for the best guest experience.
- Work with the leadership team to develop team members' wine knowledge.
- Document any gaps in staff performance within two days of the incident and discuss with the staff member.
- Promote teamwork among staff through effective communication, follow through and goal setting.
- Work with GM to write schedules to ensure adequate coverage for dining room operations
- Work with service staff to setup/breakdown all service areas at the beginning and end of assigned shifts.
- Ensure that all service areas are adequately stocked with smallwares and perishables to prevent delays in guest service.
- Manage day-to-day dining room and bar service.
- Empower service staff to handle guest complaints, working with them to find mutually satisfying solutions, assisting when a resolution can not be found.
- Conduct opening and closing procedures with the Revel POS system, reporting and interpreting sales data as requested.
- Maintain high standards for the personal appearance and uniforms of FOH staff.
- Work with all service staff to fairly distribute and report tips.
- Troubleshoot problems with Revel POS, reporting to GM, owners and Revel as needed
- Regularly inventory smallwares, reporting needs to GM.
- Ensure cleanliness of all service areas, including bathrooms, Dining Room, Private Party Room, Patio, Bar and retail area in partnership with service staff.
- Maintain tables, chairs, bar and everything in service areas in good, working condition, quickly reporting maintenance needs to owners/GM
- Maintain a working knowledge of the food menu, wine menu, products and procedures being able to answer in depth guest questions
- Work with service staff to ensure that all guests served alcohol are of legal drinking age and prevent over consumption.
- Manage the safe service of alcohol according to ServSafe Alcohol principles and local regulations.
- Work with the sales & marketing assistant manager and chef to execute events.
- Assist in event planning as needed
- Serve as the Sales & Marketing Assistant manager as needed by schedule and business volume.
Any other duties assigned by owners or the General Manager.
A person that will be successful in this job has the ability to:
- Be an ambassador for our brand, gaining satisfaction from wine service, knowledge, team building and making our guests feel like Waters Edge Winery is their home away from home.
- Assist in developing a results-oriented staff through effective training, evaluation, motivation, coaching and counseling. Ability to assist others in developing needed skills for effective job performance.
- Positively interact with diverse personalities, including co-workers, subordinates, guests, and purveyors in a variety of work situations. Must have active listening and effective communication skills.
- Be passionate about food and its role in the organization to enhance the wine drinking experience.
- Positively distribute responsibility to others to meet objectives and achieve desired results.
- Recognize problems and to find solutions creatively and expeditiously.
- Set priorities and use initiative; solid decision-maker.
- Be detail-oriented, multi-task and effectively prioritize in a continuously changing environment.
- Be self-directed while working in a team-oriented environment.
- Work a flexible schedule; able and willing to work nights, weekends, and long hours as business volume demands.
- Responding to management’s direction and solicit feedback to improve performance.
- Bachelor’s degree / higher education qualification in Hotel Management, Culinary Arts, or related field preferred. Equivalent experience will be considered.
- At least 2 years of successful restaurant management experience required, verified by references.
- Demonstrated knowledge of wine varietals, regions and types
- Effective communication skills and adaptable communication style for interacting with team members, upper management and clients
- ServSafe Manager Certified preferred - will train as needed
- Requires visual acuity and ability to hear to clearly communicate with managers, coworkers, guests, and vendors.
- Must be able to sit, stand. and walk for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to reach with arms and hands.
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 60 lbs.
Must have finger to hand dexterity to be able to grip, grasp items or equipment